Sunday, October 02, 2011

rent money



well my dear ones,


The other day, a friend of mine was saying
that if he ever lost his wallet,
while he might get it returned to him,
perhaps get his license and credit cards back,
he'd never expect to see his cash again.

Granted, bad things do happen in this world,
and since the fall of mankind, human nature
is nothing to write home about. *lol*

However, there are some bright spots,
some people who do the right thing
just because it is the right thing,
and their actions lift us all.

I told my friend about a situation
that happened many years ago,
back when my brother and I
were sharing a beach apartment
with a $400 a month rental fee.

It was the end of the month
and the rent was due;
my brother and I had just gotten back
from having a pizza in New Haven,
a rather large city in Connecticut
(recall, I'm a Connecticut Yankee
 hiding out in the South;
 so please keep that on the QT =>).

When my bro asked me for the cash,
for my half of the rent,
I reached in my back pocket
and found...nothing.

In a panic, I drove all the way back
to the pizza parlor,
which was right in the heart of downtown
of that big city;
the place was closed, but the door was open
so I went in to talk to the owner;
it went like this:

me: "I think I lost some money in here."

him: "In a wallet, right?"

me: "No, it was loose cash."

him: "Really?  How much cash?"

me: "$200."

him: "How was it?"

me: "It was folded 3 times, folded in eighths."

him: *handing me the still-folded money*
      "You're a lucky man, my friend;
      a really honest waitress found this
      and turned it in to me."

me: "Thank you!"  *turning to leave*

him: "Like I said,
      a REALLY HONEST WAITRESS found this."

me: *light bulb coming on*
      "Oh, *handing him a twenty*
      please give this to her."

I don't remember exactly how
I replaced that extra money
(I think I hocked something stupid
 that I didn't really need anyway),
yet it was something that needed doing.

There were actually 3 cool actions here.

The waitress turned in "found money,"
$200 in cash on the floor
that she easily could have just pocketed,
but her conscience didn't allow it.

Her boss gave me the money
when he could have just kept it
and told her he'd returned it;
yet not only did return the money
but he also gave all credit to the waitress
and gently chided me
for not thinking to reward her on my own.

In fact, in retrospect,
if I'd neglected to hook her up
I do believe he'd have given her
one of his own twenties
and told her it came from me,
or that it should have come from me.

Anyway, the point is
that in just reliving this whole scenario
I am both humbled and uplifted
by these small unselfish acts
by some of our fellow human beings.



Have a great week!


grace, peace, and love to you,

dave



“But I say to you who hear:
Love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you,
bless those who curse you,
and pray for those who spitefully use you.
To him who strikes you on the one cheek,
offer the other also.
And from him who takes away your cloak,
do not withhold your tunic either.
Give to everyone who asks of you.
And from him who takes away your goods
do not ask them back.
And just as you want men to do to you,
you also do to them likewise."

      --- Jesus, in The Sermon on the Mount

(man, that's some hard & heavy stuff!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home