Monday, January 30, 2012

Queenie, all dogs go to heaven


well my dear ones,


Sometimes people or pets
may come into our lives
for a very short span of time.

As my friend, Ashton says,
"I like to think that every life,
 no matter what the length,
 is important
 and enters into the world for a reason."

I concur,
and would even extrapolate that
to include relationships;
I think that all relationships,
no matter how brief,
have something to teach us.

This morning,
I was traveling back from a wedding
and a visit to my brother's house.
While driving down the freeway,
I was passing by a dog in the median
when I saw it get up on its paws
and try to crawl across the road.

I got on the grass of the median
and backed up to where the dog was.
By now it was in the middle lane
of the three southbound lanes.
It was so scared
that it didn't fight me as I picked it up.

A couple of Mack trucks in that lane
switched lanes and nearly drove up
on the grass to avoid us
(which was cool of them)
when they saw
I was trying to help an injured dog.

I put the dog in the back of my truck
and tried to pet it and calm it down.
There was an exit right there,
so I got off and asked a woman
at a gas station there
for directions to the nearest vet.

I kept the window behind me open
so I could talk to the dog
as we traveled down the road,
to try and keep him calm;
I thought he was a male,
so I called him Rexie;
but later learned he was female,
so I changed that to Queenie
(names ending in "e" seem
 to have a calming effect
 on children and animals *shrugs*).

The people at the animal hospital
were really, really nice;
but the doc there said
that Queenie was hurt too badly;
both her hips were shattered,
and that she would have to be put down.

She asked if I wanted to stay,
and I said, "yes."
So the doc and the technician and I
all prayed over her
while she was put to sleep.
(and I cried like a little baby!)

So, what do you think?
In the eyes of God
does it matter that this dog
died in a vet's office
and not all alone in the road?

I think yes.

In the final hour of her life,
Queenie had a name,
and an owner
(I listed myself as her owner of record;
 just like with the sanctuary, as I see it,
 whatever person or animal in need
 God chooses to put in our path
 is somehow our responsibility).
Also, she died surrounded by people
who were praying for her,
and held by someone who loved her
even if it was only for a short while.

And in the final hour of her life,
she affected other people's lives:
the woman at the gas station,
the police woman who had to direct me
the last few blocks to the animal hospital,
the receptionist at the hospital,
the technician,
the doctor,
and me.

Come to think of it,
if you are reading this,
then I guess Queenie is still affecting lives.

Here's a pic of the little spud in my truck:



What a sweet little girl;
I only wish I could have done more for her.

I may have only had her in my life
for an extremely short time,
yet she taught me a very valuable lesson:
love is not some commodity
that you can run out of;
the more love you give,
the more God will replenish it
and give you even more love to give.
There's no limit to the number
of pets or people you can love.

Thanks, Queenie;
I pray for a place for you in Deep Heaven,
and someone to love you there
as you should have had here.


grace, peace, and love to you,

dave



"And God shall wipe away all tears
 from their eyes;
 and there shall be no more death,
 neither sorrow, nor crying,
 neither shall there be any more pain:
 for the former things are passed away."

      --- Revelation 21:4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home